Top 10 composers that (I believe) everyone should listen to

     

I salute you, fellow readers of this arbitrary webpage! It's been a while! For today's post, I'm bringing a new and totally different topic to talk about: classical music. I'm aware that a huge majority of people do not like listening to it, mostly because they have made wrong judgements about this wide musical genre, or because their ears just have a different musical taste, or because they have heard from others that it's boring and just adopted that opinion without making one for themselves - however, I'm not going to be defending classical music in this post. Instead of showing its highlights and presenting a thesis on how it contains so many genres from all around Europe that you could never get bored of it or find it monotonous, I'm just going to give you my top 10 composers. However, as I like all of them (and more!) that I won't be showing, the list will be arranged according to who I currently listen more to. 

I love classical music, partly (I think) due to being musically trained since little, as I have been introduced to many classical pieces by teachers, but I strongly believe that the common thought of "it is easier to like classical music if you are musically trained" is wrong! Anyone can listen to it and appreciate it, and your age or musical abilities do not matter at all. 

Maybe, you will discover something new... or maybe this won't be your surprise box! In any case, I hope that this becomes of your interest, and, of course, that you learn something new! 


Nº1: Frédéric Chopin

Even though I am not a piano player, I have recently fallen in love with this composer from the Romantic era and I can't stop listening to his works. From his Nocturnes to his Waltzes and piano studies, this Polish composer is an absolute marvel to listen to. 

For starters, listen to this: 

https://youtu.be/B-HosIOod_A (Fantasie Impromptu)



Nº2: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

    This prolific and influential composer of the Classical period needs to be in second place because I love listening to the clarinet pieces and quintets he composed. By the way, if you haven't watched the film Amadeus, I strongly suggest you to do it. 

    Here's a link to his quintet for clarinet and strings: 

https://youtu.be/xTNbclgU3h4

    And maybe this symphony in g minor will seem familiar to you:

https://youtu.be/CJkUpFWAIm4


Nº3: Felix Mendelssohn


Another composer from the Romantic period - it is my favourite era. As you may already know, classical music is not only music from the Baroque or Classical period! Actually, the term "classical music" first began to appear in the early 19th century, and gained popularity among music lovers who regarded the period from Bach (a Baroque composer) to Beethoven as a shining era in music history. Though Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and their contemporaries will always have pride of place in the world of classical music, the long history of what we now consider classical music didn't begin with them and certainly didn't end with them

My recommendation for you is his beautiful and exciting Violin Concerto:

https://youtu.be/vzbC39utkTw


Nº4: Camille Saint-Saëns

This French composer has composed more than 400 pieces and all of them must be great. I personally love his clarinet and piano sonata, but I also love his famous Carnival of the Animals and Danse Macabre. 

Here's a link to the Danse Macabre, a very "Halloweeny" piece:

https://youtu.be/TLRTS28bhMg



Nº5: Franz Liszt

His most famous works are just for piano, even though he has composed for ensemble too. Let me show you his Liebestraum, a piece which, as its title says, will make you dream about love

https://youtu.be/mQSG5m3hW-8




Nº6: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky 

He was the first Russian composer whose music made a lasting impression internationally. He is popular for his ballets, like The Nutcracker and Swan Lake, and his symphonies, like the sixth. 

This is my recommendation (Symphony Nº6): https://youtu.be/SVnF3x44rvU

And you can also listen to my favourite Scene of The Nutcrackerhttps://youtu.be/LKcZL8q1eBw


Nº7: Antonín Leopold Dvořák 

He was a Czech composer who died in the 20th century, one of the first to achieve worldwide recognition. He is a Romantic-era nationalist, and frequently employed rhythms and other aspects of the folk music of Moravia and his native Bohemia. I love listening to his 9th symphony, called “From the New World” - it just leaves me speechless. Maybe you have heard it before!: https://youtu.be/jOofzffyDSA 



Nº8: Maurice Ravel 

Ravel was a French composer from the 20th century. His works are linked to Impressionism and Neoclasicism, but they are absolutely unique

I recently listen to this piano piece a lot, called Pavane pour une infante défunte. Here’s a version for orchestra: https://youtu.be/2_c8JRCKq1A AND the original piano version, by a great pianist: https://youtu.be/R-To_xjfiyI

Here’s a link to his Bolero:

https://youtu.be/6NDwT6SCfk4


Nº9: Shostakovich 

He was a Soviet and Russian composer and pianist. He is regarded as one of the major composers of the 20th century, with a unique harmonic language and a historic importance due to his years of work under Stalin. The piece I am currently listening more to is his beautiful Waltz Nº2https://youtu.be/qPmnn_iTQJE 


Nº10: Brahms 

Another composer from the Romantic era! Brahms was the great master of symphonic and sonata style in the second half of the 19th century.  Some of his best-known compositions include the Symphony No. 3 in F MajorWiegenlied, Op. 49, No. 4

, and Hungarian Dances.

From his symphonies, I adore the 3rd one, and specially its third movement. I invite you to listen to it: https://youtu.be/4L0MqnAoEJM

Of course, I love listening to his Clarinet sonatas (1 and 2). I strongly recommend them, not only as a clarinet player: https://youtu.be/7tHkEqGMouM


EXTRA: John Williams

He is not a classical music composer, but he is definitely a great one. I consider him a genious, actually. He  has composed one of the most critically acclaimed film scores in cinematic history, and he is influenced by classical composers like Stravinsky (Romantic period).

My recommendation is Schindler’s list. It is truly emotive, and captures perfectly the essence of the film: 

https://youtu.be/YqVRcFQagtI 

    Well, this has been my list of most-heard composers. Of course, I believe everyone should at least listen to their pieces once in their lives, because they are beautiful, they are absolute pieces of Art, and, just as I said in a previous post, it is Art what makes us human. I hope that you have liked this post and feel free to leave your opinions in the comment section! Did you know about all these composers, and have you listened to any piece composed by them? What’s its name? 

    See you next time!

Comentarios

  1. Hi Marina! This is my favourite entrance of your blog, classical music is very interesting, and it is interesting to know the opinion of a friend who actually knows about it. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Tags: "RandomLISZT", hahaha.
    I liked a lot this post, Marina. I will be listening for the rest of the day these pieces. I love Tchaikovsky's "Pathetic Symphony", specially around the tenth minute, when the orchestra is playing very quietly and then BAM! * heart attack * .
    Thank you for the recommendations! :-)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Omg, same!! I am so glad that you have liked this post, and it also makes me happy to know that you enjoy listening to classical music. Thank YOU for your nice comments! :)

      Eliminar
  3. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi! I love this post! I really enjoy classical music even though I know little about it. I used to listen to the Danse Macabre (beautiful) so I was glad you included it. I really appreciate your recommendations since you know about this topic and thanks to you now I'm obsessed with the majestic Waltz Nº2 of Shostakovich. (btw, I also love John Williams' soundtracks)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Lau! It makes me happy to know that you already listened to Classical music, and also that you met Shostakovich <33333

      Eliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

All you need to know about infographics (+ their recipe)

Doctors of the soul